Aina Haina Public Library is one of 51 branch libraries that make up the Hawaii State Public Library System—the only statewide public library system in the United States. The library is located next to the Aina Haina Shopping Center. The library opened its doors to the public on October 18, 1962 with 8,000 books, replacing bookmobile service to the area. At the time it was only the second library east of the main branch downtown to serve the communities to East Honolulu (the other library was Waikiki Library established in 1952).
It remained the only library to serve families from Waialae to Koko Head, until Kaimuki Library opened in 1965 and Hawaii Kai Library opened ten years later in 1972. The land for the library was made available to the State by the Hind Estate for $28,000 and the building cost $171,190. The architect for the building was Edward Aotani and the contractor was D.K. Nagata. The 11,068-square foot facility is air-conditioned and currently has over 58,000 books, periodicals, and audiovisuals. In 2011, our library became the first public library on Oahu to install photovoltaic panels, which supply seventy percent of the library’s electricity. In January 2015, new landscaping was funded by the Friends of the Aina Haina Public Library. After the flood of April 2018, new flooring was installed and the building’s interior and exterior were repainted. In 2019, the restrooms were renovated to be ADA compliant.
Many programs for people of all ages are held throughout the year. The library has an active local Friends group who hold several very popular book sales for the community each year. In recognition of the diversity of the community served by the Aina Haina branch, the library was able to expand services by adding a senior services librarian in 2008—the second library in the state system to do so.